Sometimes it can be hard to think of a good side dish when you are in a rush or running low on ingredients. Here is a simple recipe for stovetop white rice that you will want to keep in your cookbook!
- 1 cup of white rice
- 2 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon of butter or oil (optional)
- Salt (optional)
- Rinse the rice in a fine-mesh strainer under cold running water until the water runs clear. This removes excess starch and dirt from the rice.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the rinsed rice, water, butter or oil (if using), and salt (if using). Stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and cover the saucepan with a lid.
- Allow the rice to simmer for 18-20 minutes, or until the water has been absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and let it sit, covered, for an additional 5 minutes. This allows the rice to steam and become fluffier.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and serve.
- You can also add any additional ingredients to the rice, such as vegetables, proteins, or herbs, to make it a more complete meal. Enjoy!