Experience the Heart of Havana: A Classic Cuban Rice and Beans Recipe. Join us as we delve into the magic of traditional Cuban cooking, serving up an authentic dish that's as flavorful as it is comforting.
- 1 cup white SmartRice
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro, chopped (for garnish, optional)
- Rinse the white SmartRice under cold water until the water runs clear. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet or pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and green bell pepper. Sauté until the vegetables are softened and aromatic about 6 minutes.
- Add the cumin, oregano, and tomato paste to the skillet. Stir well to combine the ingredients.
- Add the rice to the skillet and stir to coat it with the spices and vegetables.
- Pour in the broth and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the skillet, and simmer for about 15-20 minutes, or until the rice is cooked and the liquid is absorbed.
- Once the rice is cooked, add the black beans to the skillet. Stir gently to combine the rice and beans. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes to heat the beans.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. If desired, garnish with fresh cilantro.
- Enjoy your delicious and flavorful Cuban rice and beans!